BEST PRACTICES AND TIPS FOR EMPLOYEES
How to Prevent Race and Color Discrimination in the Workplace
- Respect cultural and racial differences in the workplace.
- Be professional in conduct and speech.
- Refuse to initiate, participate, or condone discrimination and harassment.
- Avoid race-based or culturally offensive humor or pranks. When in doubt, leave it outside the workplace.
- Familiarize yourself with the company’s workplace policies and act responsibly.
- Attend training on EEO principles and learn about your legal rights and responsibilities under the anti-discrimination laws. Also visit www.eeoc.gov for information on discrimination and harassment.
- Be pro-active. Report incidents of inappropriate, discriminatory, harassing or abusive behavior to your supervisor, Human Resources department, union, or management.
- If you experience or witness discrimination or harassment contact EEOC or your local human rights commission.
General Information: www.eeoc.gov
Additional Information on Race and Color Discrimination: www.eeoc.gov/types/race.html